by Nicholas Domingo
For the Mushrooms:
6 large portobello mushrooms
Kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
• Remove the gills of the mushrooms with a spoon, being careful not to
break the cap. Starting from the edge, grab the skin and peel back
toward the center. Continue until all the skin is removed. (Don’t worry
if some is left in the center.) Trim the edges with a sharp knife to
create a cleaner-looking product.
• Submerge in the marinade and let sit for 20 minutes.
• Season with the salt and pepper.
• Grill over a fire for 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
For the Red Wine Reduction:
1 bottle red wine
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 fresh bay leaf
1 Granny Smith apple, diced
2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
Salt, to taste
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
• Place all the ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil over the stove and
immediately reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook until reduced by 2/3.
• Drizzle on the mushrooms.
Makes 6 servings