Just a quick update to let you know that things are moving along at Shamrock. We do not have exact dates for the garden workday, but now that Amy is back in town, I should have some to pass on to you soon. Thanks to all of you who have been saving/collecting cardboard for us- we will need it!

In addition to our usual work with classes, we are also starting work with the school nurse to teach health and nutrition to the "Right Moves Girls" club. These girls will learn about healthy food choices, participate in food demos, and work in the garden growing some of the foods that they are learning about. We are having our first meeting with this group Jan 26th at 9:30 AM. Please contact me or Cary Probst if you are interested in coming that day or being involved in working with this group. Remember, our only requirement is to register as a volunteer with CMS!

We are also looking to do a few after school cooking classes for either this group or another afterschool group. This is still in the early stages, but I am putting this out there so you chefs in the mix aren't surprised when we come calling (yes, I am talking to you, Bradley, Marla and Joe!)

We also had some good news last week- the worms from the worm bin are still alive and the compost in the first bin is ready to harvest! I am hoping to confirm a date to do that with the class teacher once they get back to school after today's blizzard, and I will let you all know worm wranglers know as soon as I hear from her.

Thanks to the new volunteers who sent in forms. Hope to see you all soon!

Michaele

Tags: garden, school

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

This all sounds very exciting, let me know when I can help with those classes!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Andy Ciordia.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service