Hi All,
Just wanted to bring you up to speed on what is happening at Shamrock, but before I do I wanted to let you know what I was doing this morning. Yesterday, I went out to my mailbox and I found a $500 check for Food for Thought from a Slow Food USA microgrant. Today I went to the back and deposited that check, along with another $100 donation that we received into our account! This is an exciting start, but to do everything we would like, we are projecting financial needs totaling at least $2000 over the next year. If you are interested in helping with fundraising for our project, or in making a donation, please contact me and let me know.
We had a great planting day on the 26th- we now have tomatoes, beans, peppers, basil. zucchini and eggplant in and growing. We also made a worm compost bin with the students, which was a lot of fun. Many Shamrock faculty members, families and their children were there to help. It was wonderful to see the enthusiasm they all had for the project, and more than one child said they wanted to be a gardener when they grew up! Thanks to all who were there, and I want to say a special thanks to the following businesses and people for their donations and support of the garden:

Poplar Ridge Farm
Wallace Farm
Wilson's Nursery
Farmer's Exchange of Rock Hill
Art Institute Culinary Students
Tracy Allen
Andy Ciordia
Amy and Matt Hayes

Amy is planting some radishes with the students today, and there will be ongoing garden needs throughout the spring and summer. Please contact Amy if you would like to help with the garden or sign up for a day of watering!
We will be going into the classroom during the last week of May to do some food and nutrition activities with the kids in all grade levels. Please contact Cary Probst if you would like to be involved in this facet of the project.
Thanks!

Michaele

Views: 0

© 2014   Created by Andy Ciordia.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service