There were many folks who requested the recipe for the soup and sandwich prepared by Chef Joe Bonaparte at the Charlotte Clean & Green Earth Day Festival.
Thanks for your patience. Have at it!
The sandwich is the combination of many different recipes used by Chef Bonaparte.
Once all the components are done it is assembled like this:
Spread each side of the bread with Goat Cheese-Tomato Mixture
Spread each side with arugula pesto
Pile on some grilled Portobello on the bottom slice
Pile some grilled vegetables on top of the mushroom
Top that with some onion marmalade
Close with the other piece of bread
¾ ounce dry yeast
1 5/8 pints water (100degrees)
¾ pound bread flour
¾ ounce granulated sugar
¾ ounce salt
1 5/8 pounds bread flour
3 1/4 ounces olive oil
¾ ounce chopped garlic
¼ ounce dry herbs
Dissolve yeast in water for 10 minutes. Add sugar, salt, and flour, mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Let the sponge rise until double, about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
1. Heat the oil in a sauté pan, add the chopped garlic and heat until the garlic is tender, add the dry herbs and cool.
2. When sponge is ready add the flour, oil mixture, and mix with a wooden spoon.
3. Place dough on a floured surface and knead with your hands, 3-4 times.
4. Put in an oil bowl cover and let double in size.
5. Punch down the dough and spread out in an oil sheet pan.
6. Let rise about 30 -45 minutes
7. Brush olive oil on the bread, make some indentions with your fingers, and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt.
8. Bake in a 400 oven for about 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown and crisp on the outside.
MARINADE FOR GRILLED PORTABELLA MUSTROOMS & VEGETABLES
1 cup olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dry basil leaves
1 tablespoon dry oregano
½ tablespoon celery seed
½ tablespoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
Mix all the ingredients together.
Can be used for mushrooms or for read meats.
Do NOT marinate mushrooms for more than 15 minutes.
De-gill and clean the mushrooms, marinate, and grill. Can brush them will grilling if desired.
You can also roast these mushrooms in the oven at 400 for about 15 or 20 minutes.
12 scallions—trim the ends
1 eggplant (purge and slide into rounds)
2 zucchini sliced lengthwise
1 roasted and sliced red pepper
1 roasted and slice yellow pepper
Marinade from above.
Toss vegetables, EXCEPT PEPPERS, with the marinade. Remove excess marinade.
Grill vegetables until cooked or have good grill marks.
If needed finish some in the oven.
GOAD CHEESE-OVEN DRIED TOMATO SPREAD
2 cups bosky acres goat cheese
2 oven dried tomatoes (see recipe)
1/2 cup basil leaves
¼ cup olive oil (oil from roasting tomatoes)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
4 cloves roasted garlic—minced
salt and pepper to taste
Recipe Name: Oven Dried Tomatoes _ Tomato Confit
Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
Extra virgin olive oil as needed
Kosher salt as needed
Freshly ground black pepper as needed
Thyme sprigs as needed
1. Assemble all ingredients and equipment needed to prepare the recipe.
2. Cut the tomatoes into rounds
3. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, drizzle the foil with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Lay the tomato slices on the foil.
6. Drizzle more oil over the tops of the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Top each tomato with a sprig of thyme.
8. Place in the oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, until the tomatoes have partially dried but still have some of their juices.
9. Discard the thyme and refrigerate the confit in a covered container, with the oil, until ready to use or up to 1 week.
10. Serve as required.
Place all ingredients for the goat cheese and the oven roasted tomatoes in a food processor and blend until mixed.
1.00 clove Garlic chopped
1.00 tablespoon Basil, fresh chopped
2.00 cups Arugula, Fresh
1.00 ounce Parmesan Cheese grated
4.00 ounces Olive Oil
1. Mix garlic, arugula, and basil: add parmesan cheese, olive oil and blend into a smooth paste in the food processor.
Red Onion Marmalade
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 6 cups thinly sliced red onions (about 3 1/4 pounds)
• 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
• 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
• 3/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
• 2 cups red wine
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
• Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and dried red pepper. Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add brown sugar, vinegar, wine and thyme. Cook uncovered until onions are very tender and mixture is thick, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Keep cooking until mixture is very thick and dark, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
CHILLED SUMMER TOMATO AND ROASTED PEPPER SOUP
10 roasted tomatoes
5 roasted red peppers (already roasted, peeled and diced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves of garlic—minced
1 teaspoon oregano
6 cups water or vegetable stock
1 cup chopped cilantro
½ cup chopped fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Cut the tomatoes in half remove the seeds. Toss the tomatoes with olive oil. Place cut side down on a sheet pan covered with foil which has been oiled. Blister in 500 degree convection oven. Remove. Be sure to keep all juices which come out onto the pan. Puree the tomatoes and all their juices. Reserve.
2. In a stainless steel pot sauté the onions in a little oil, add the garlic and oregano, then add the peppers, stir.
3. Add the tomato mixture. Let cook and reduce for a few minutes. Do not let it burn.
4. Add the stock and let simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Remove and puree the soup with a blender.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cool the soup. Mix in the herbs. Taste and adjust again when cold.
To make the crème fraiche – blend the crème fraiche (or use sour cream, or Greek yogurt) with the basil in a food processor, and season with salt.
Serve in soup bowl. Top with basil crème fraiche.