http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=19147
This is webcast originating from UCBerkely in Feb. 07 with Michael Pollan author of the Omnivore's Dilemma and John Mackay, CEO Whole Foods.
After Mackay's thorough presentation, Pollan discusses with Mackay about the Slow Foods movement.
I think the most telling feature is this is a video about a reporter meeting up with a grocer. That wouldn't have happened...well, how many years ago is your guess is as good as mine.
I will be 56 in January. There are lots of human bellies being born into this world as I write.
As for the past? Well, I guess one can go about talking about food and cooking and eating with folks and one sooner or later one learns about much of the past that no longer exists is discussed. Then there is the present, which has everything to do with getting nourished in the realtime. Then there is the future.
As I see it, it is all about Michael Pollan's question, reduced into its simplest of terms, of what one eat for dinner(?)
When one considers it, when it comes to eating to sustains one's life, how do you go about doing it?
As I see it, most of the citizens of the United States have to get in vehicles and travel to a site where the food is. Where it is doesn't matter. Some consume onsite. Some buy and then go elsewhere to eat it.
There is nothing neither necessarily right nor wrong with this concept.
To me, it is not such a matter of how far one travels to get the food or how far the food travels to get to a place why I buy it as it a matter of how these two concepts interact in order to achieve a situation of sustainability.
To be more specific, as it pertains to the begging of the questions:
How much acreage is allotted to the production of cows, goats, chickens, ducks, pigs, etc.(meat food, in other words) and how much acreage is allotted to the production of edible plants (veggies, in other words) on a locally sustainable basis per capita?
Moreover, there is the further question of who eats well and who doesn't? That can be a cultural thing as much as it can be an original sin thing, with the original sin thing being defined as "Mine is better than yours."
Or, as Brillat-Savrarin said, "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."

Tags: The, food, future, of

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael Pollan has an op/ed piece in the Sunday NY
Times. Here is the email he sent me:
I've written an op ed piece on the farm bill, "Weed it and Reap,"
which will appear in the New York Times "Week in Review" section
tomorrow (Sunday). We'll post it on the website later, but thought
you'd like a heads up. The bill comes to the Senate floor this week.
There are some important amendments on the floor, as I discuss in the
piece. Please do let your Senators know where you stand.
Sincerely,
Michael Pollan

RSS

© 2014   Created by Andy Ciordia.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service