We were given one giant zucchini recently and wanted to do something different from the usual with it. We were pointed in the direction of stuffing it. We ate it as the main meal, but I imagine it would make a good appetizer or side dish as well.

Basically, you cut it lengthwise in half (I quartered mine because it really was huge) and boil it until it starts to get tender. Then, scoop out the insides leaving an edge to hold stuff in. Chop up what was scooped out and drain excess liquids, then combine with your favorite ingredients. I used Baucom's ground beef (browned) with some herbs, seasonings, an egg (Grateful Growers of course), and bread crumbs. The mixture then goes into the holes in the zucchini and covered with cheese (I used Parmesan). Bake them at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is browned and it looks how you want it to.
Anyone got other ideas of veggies that can be stuffed and what we can put in them?

Tags: dinner, food, stuffing, zucchini

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have some recipes...but am actually fixing dinner for my family right now...however, butternut squash is really good stuffed, so is acorn. Bell Peppers, tomatoes, etc. I will post later tonight. Cheers!
I've never thought of stuffing tomatoes before. They seem to get so mushy I didn't realize they would hold form well enough.
Robin,

I realize that I never got back to you...I am leaving a recipe that I adapt for use in my house for stuffed tomatoes.

4 large tomato(s), (beef)
1 spray low-fat cooking spray (I use my olive oil mister)
4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
100 g mushrooms
75 g cooked brown or white rice, risotto
1 stock cube, (make 3/4 pint) (I use my own stock)
2 tsp fresh or dried herbs, (chopped fresh basil)
40 g cheddar cheese, mature, grated
1 pinch salt, to taste
1 serving pepper, freshly ground, black
2 large leaf basil, sprigs, to garnish

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F.

2. Slice tops off tomatoes and set aside. Scoop out and chop tomato pulp.

3. Mist a non-stick frying pan with spray cooking oil. Add spring onions, celery and mushrooms. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Stir in rice, stock, herbs and tomato pulp. Cook gently until rice is tender and stock has been absorbed - about 20 minutes, adding extra stock or water if needed. Remove from heat, stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Place tomatoes in baking dish. Fill with rice mixture, spooning excess around them. Replace tomato tops. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Serve, garnished with basil sprigs.

The tomatoes hold together very well.
I like to take tomatoes and do an arugula stuffing. I do not follow a standard recipe, but it is not hard. Simply scoop out the tomatoes, and discard the inners seeds and pulp. In a mixing bowl, I combine baby arugula, minced garlic, seasoned bread crumbs, salt and pepper, and shredded Parmesan cheese. I then add olive oil until the mixture is moist and holds together somewhat. Scoop the mixture back into the tomatoes, top with more parmesan cheese and some red chili flakes, (if you like it spicy) then bake until the cheese is golden brown. They are always a hit, and go great with steaks.

Another recipe I used to make a lot that is similar to your zucchini recipe, but with crooked neck yellow squash is as follows. Cut the squash in half and blanch until tender. Scoop out the seeds and insides to make the squash into little boats, reserve the insides in a mixing bowl and combine with grated sharp white cheddar, diced yellow onion that have been sweated, and dry pepperidge farms seasoned stuffing mix. The mixture will become moist from the squash insides and onion. I then stuff the squash boats, wrap thick cut pepper bacon around it and bake until the bacon is done and the top is golden brown.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Andy Ciordia.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service