Sponsored by Mecklenburg County Solid Waste Authority
Instructor: Jean Woods
Call Hosting Facility to Register $10.00. Participants receive a composting book and a wire compost bin.
Participants in the P.L.A.N.T. class will learn the following:
* Composting - how to turn leaves, yard clippings & kitchen scraps into rich compost that is a cost saving & valuable soil amendment for plants in the yard and garden.
* Home and Community Soil Stewardship - How and why of soil testing, managing soils to improve fertility, decrease erosion and protect the environment.
* Toxicity Reduction - Water quality, chemical alternatives and natural methods, and proper use, storage and disposal of yard chemicals.
* Home Yard Care - Wise lawn care, types of grasses and how to best manage them, grasscycling, and lawn alternatives including ground covers, natural areas and proper mulching techniques.
* Piedmont Naturescaping - Landscaping for sustainability and easy, low-cost maintenance, (southern xeriscaping)using traditional and native plants and trees in the landscape, groundcovers and mulch, watersaving strategies and best irrigation practices and technologies. Prevention and eradication of invasive plants in our communities to improve property values.
* Habitat and Natural Gardening - natural landscaping techniques that allow for beneficial insects and plants, habitat for wildlife and low maintenance beautification of the landscape.